Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Happy Places...

A late Friday afternoon/evening trip with my nerdy birdy friend April to visit a few of my happy places, Crystal Hot Springs and the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. It was a rainy day. Rain is quite welcome here in the drought worn west, I know that in the past this dry section of the refuge pictured below has actually been a wet land. The good news is the birds are back. We stopped an watched a flock of ibis in a alfalfa field on the road to the refuge. I couldn't get a good picture, as the birds are so flighty, but it was so fun to watch the dark heads bobbing up and down all over the field.

Heron, stilts, avocets, pelicans, blackbirds, cormorants, greebs ducks and geese were plentiful, almost better than seeing them was enjoying the cacophony of bird sounds that greeted us when ever we stopped and got out of the car.

Another nice thing... no bugs, so we were actually able to enjoy our time out of the car!!! White Faced Ibis - I wish I could have gotten a better picture of all activity in this field!!! American Avocets - I never tire of these! and thy were noisy And we are always thrilled to death to see a Sandhill Crane!

No comments: