Friday, May 27, 2011

Random memories...


When I stopped by friend April's house to pick her up for gallery stroll last week I got to meet a few of her daughters pets. Corn snakes. Four of them, in an assortment of colors, inherited from a breeder who died. So very pretty. I guess I am kind of fond of snakes, so I was happy when she let me hold the gray one, who she thought was the most friendly. I love they way feel, sort of cold and soft and silky as they slither through my hand and over my arms. I always enjoy playing with snakes when I get the chance.

Of course not every one shares my sentiments, and many people are downright scared of snakes. Which reminds me of something that happened way back when I was in high school. My high school zoology teacher had a snake, a boa constrictor, about 4 feet long, named "Baby". She let us handle the snake in class, and it was a treat if you were the lucky one who got to listen to lecture with baby slung around your neck. Of course not everyone was thrilled with Baby, there were always a few people who were scared to death of snakes. Ron was one of these people.

The class room was arranged in 3 arcs of lab benches. Ron was sitting in the middle of the middle bench. On this day the guy in the row behind Ron was the lucky guy who got hold Baby that. He decided to get comfortable, leaning back in his chair with his feet up on the lab bench, with Baby hung around his neck. Baby decided go exploring and started slowly working her down way his torso and onto his leg. Then down his leg. She didn't stop when she reached the end of his foot, but stretched her head forward into the air, right in poor Ron's direction. The way the classroom was set up, most of could see, and were watching Baby and her travels. Of course we all knew Ron was deathly afraid of snakes, but kids being kids, we all sat, watching silently, because knew what would happen would be amusing. Amusing to all of us except poor Ron. So Baby's head stretches further and further forward, her tongue darting in and out, until her head entered the space of Ron's peripheral vision, just inches from the side of his head. My classmates and I remained silent. Then there was the scream, and poor Ron leaping from his chair, doing a dance in the middle of the classroom, shaking. Everyone, except Ron and our teacher, thought it was hilarious. High school kids... lets face it... are mean!

Needless to say, that was the last time, for a very long time, that any one was permitted to play with Baby during zoology class. So I guess we spoiled our own fun, at least for those of us who enjoy holding snakes. Silly kids I still enjoy the chance play with snakes (friendly snakes at least) when I can.

No comments: